Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Big Three. About As Bad As The Lions

Michigan's economy is the worst it has been in a long time, and I feel like it just keeps getting worse. Michigan is so dependent on the Big Three and the auto industry, and with the struggles of Ford, Chrysler, and GM, our state is headed in the wrong direction. The Big Three has asked our federal government for $25 billion to bail them out of their financial problems, but even living in Michigan, I liked Congress' answer. Congress abandoned a vote on the bailout after a disastrous appearance in which the automakers were criticized for lavish corporate travel, as well as for having poor business plans and high labor costs that some members said would keep them from being competitive with Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. The announcement came just days after Ford CEO Alan Mulally, Chrysler LLC CEO Robert Nardelli and General Motors Corp. CEO Rick Wagoner traveled to Washington on separate corporate jets. Why are these guys still traveling around the world in corporate jets if their companies are having such financial problems?


I know that something needs to be done, and something has to change to stop the downfall of the Big Three. Maybe it needs to start at the top of the companies. Now I don't know all that much about economics, or everything that is going on with Michigan's economy, but I do know if I was running one of these companies I wouldn't still be traveling around in my lavish private jet! I think it's absolutely ridiculous, and if I was a part of Congress, I would have ripped the CEO's as well. The Big Three can't just expect to have our government give them billions and billions of dollars if they aren't willing to make some sacrifices.


"Ford Motor Co. said it may sell its fleet of five corporate jets after top executives of the three Detroit automakers were harshly criticized by members of Congress this week for their travel expenses."(The Associated Press). What I don't understand, and I guess I never will, is why it took Congress to call out the Big Three for them to realize they should probably cut back on travel expenses, including traveling in private jets. I really hope things turn around for Chrysler, Ford and Gm, but they need to start making sacrifices themselves. Instead of laying off employees, how about the CEO's start taking pay cuts and traveling first class instead of their own planes!

No comments: